Saturday, October 28, 2006

Eternal Damnation and Powdered Doughnuts



Out of all the places I might think to find the evangelical shock treatment that is Hell House, Dumbo would be the last place I would look. Yet, lo and behold, Les Freres Corbusier, the same folks that brought you A Very Merry Unauthorized Children's Scientology Pageant, has staged a production straight from the Hell House kit.

I attended last night and it was surprisingly good fun. I won't go into the head trip about the elephant in the room named irony. I think the New York Times theater review sums it up pretty well.

To me it felt like a grand experiment where two worlds collide. And what it yielded is hard for me to articulate. Which is unfortunate for a blog.

So on that note. Get tickets if you can. You'll have all the fire and brimstone without the painful conversion pressure at the end. Bonus = free powdered doughnuts.

p.s. If you do attend, don't pass by "Pin the Sin on Jesus" without taking a gander. It's a cut out of Jesus that you affix your confessed sins to via push pin and paper.
My favorite sin posted that night was, "I like to stick Jesus with pins".

No comments: